Friday, July 10, 2009

VagaNation!

Who knew brown could look so good.


Last weekend was Potlatch. It's Wednesday now and I think I have finally recovered. What an amazing weekend. For three years (at least) I have wanted to play for Vagabonds; I wanted to wear brown, so after last year when my Vaga friends were wondering why I wasn't on the team I decided to just invite myself onto it. And I'm soooooo glad I did. This is an incredible group of people, not to mention damn good ultimate players as well. We finished the weekend 8-1 losing to Team Canada in the semifinals, and if it had not been a worlds year, it's quite possible that we would have won.

Potlatch is such a unique experience. What other sport would you spend an entire 3 days at one location, with over 100 other teams, camping out, playing games (other than ultimate), hugging opponents, jumping in lakes, "showering" in spigots, and completely forgetting about any other reality..? NONE. When you are at Potlatch, you are no where else. It feels so good to be surrounded by all of your friends, laughing for 3 days straight, and making new friends while you are at it.

I started this post on Wednesday morning but this week has been such a whirlwind that I am just now trying to get it out on Friday. The past two weekends quantify my ultimate season for the summer. Potlatch and then the beach tournament. Today I am leaving for Seaside, OR where some crazy fun beach ultimate and hanging out with friends is going to happen. Two years ago I went with the same crew (a bunch of friends from Seattle and a few Portland representatives) and this year with the addition of Jill and a few others, this weekend promises to be EPIC.

Last weekend I managed to stay away from gluten (with the very small exception of two bites of Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream, which was honestly a space out and a complete accident). With all the beer and crappy food around I was quite proud of myself, not because I didn't have any, but because I didn't WANT any (except for, obviously, the cookie dough ice cream). Often, when I go to these frisbee tournaments I come back with a massive carb hangover that lasts for like two days. This week i have definitely had a difficult time recovery from Potlatch, but I think it was more the running around in the hot sun all day for three days than it was the carbs. I managed to keep my intake pretty low and ate mostly protein. Same plan for this weekend. I get wrecked enough just playing frisbee now, I don't need to make it worse by drinking and eating too many carbs! It's crazy how sensitive my body is to carbs and processed foods now.. it feels good to not be desensitized to it; to actually know what it feels like to have an insulin spike and drop (it doesn't feel good).

Ramman and I are cruising with Rip City Fitness as much as we can. We just completed our first Ninja Boot Camp and next week we will start another. I've been training Schwa and a couple of other clients, so we're bringing in some extra cash, trying not to find reasons to spend it. My goal is to save all my money from what we are doing with RCF, and hopefully this fall and winter we will get a lot of people enrolled in boot camps and Ramman's acrobatic training course. As far as saving money goes, it has been easier to do than in the past now that I have an ACTUAL GOAL, not just a dream. The most current update of our travelling goal for next year is to leave in February/March for the Yucatan Peninsula and explore all of the Mayan ruins there and hike/chicken truck it into Belize. A 3 month adventure. Then we will come back to Portland, work and train for the spring, summer, and fall and then leave again in the winter for Southeast Asia for 3 months.. etc, etc, until we have satisfied our travel and adventure bug (which may be never..?) But then again, Belize... When we get there, we may not leave..

No comments:

Post a Comment