Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Possibility.


Today I had a revelation of sorts. Once you realize that anything is possible, like REALLY realize.. it can become a little stressful. And once you realize that EVERYTHING is possible, well- it can be even more stressful and overwhelming. And if you're not careful, you could even get depressed by thinking 'Well, if anything and everything's possible, why the hell haven't I done it yet??' It adds to the irony of life I suppose..

So here I am in the midst of realizing the possibilities, like REALLY. People (parents, teachers, mentors, family, friends, spiritual gurus, etc.) have always told me that I can do anything I want to do; that nothing is impossible; the world is mine. But it's something different now that I actually BELIEVE that I can do anything I want to do. And I didn't even realize that I didn't entirely believe this, until now. It's quite empowering.. and quite intimidating.

The next plan: live in Portland until our lease is up in February next year and then go to Mexico (the Yucatan Peninsula) for a month or so. In Mexico we'll learn some Spanish and live simply and just have a good time. Then we will leave from Mexico to where ever we end up getting teaching jobs and stay in that country for the length of whatever teaching contract(s) we get (hopefully 6 month contracts, so we can go on to somewhere else). In the meantime, here in Portland, we will figure out what English teaching certificate to get (if any), start applying for jobs in the countries that pay the most (Japan and Korea happen to be at the top of the pay scale), and network with people who have contacts overseas- who knows, maybe there are some other jobs that we could apply for that have nothing to do with teaching English.

Everything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment