Thursday, May 7, 2009

Finding Balance


(This is not me:))

Today we went to CrossFit Portland again to do the Gymnastic Bodies WOD. Ido was still there, so he offered up some more tips and exercises. I tried a muscle up after which Ido said, "Oh, give me a break!" meaning, cut the bullshit and just do it! No kidding. I did some negative transition drills, or at least tried, and practiced some handstands. A great drill for finding your line in a handstand is kicking up against a wall, bend the knees so that your feet are touching the wall. Tilt your pelvis and push through the shoulders until your feet come off the wall and then try and straighten your legs. If you lose balance and your feet go back to the wall, start back at the bottom of the knee bend. Also important: placement of the hands and fingers, and pressure applied to the different parts of the hands. Hands should be shoulder width apart and index fingers parallel to one another. Finding balance has a lot to do with controlling imbalance with your fingers and heel of your palm.

Then we did the GB WOD:
3x5 SLS jumping for height (single leg squat)
3x5 GHR (these are HORRIBLY PAINFUL.)

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.
6x10 on parallettes

Later Ramman and I did a nice 1.5 hour long partner stretching session. I am usually resistant to this kind of thing but I am trying to reverse my aversion to in depth active stretching. We are going to start doing this 2 days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment