Sunday, March 29, 2009

Competition & Aspirations


Semi-rest(ish) Day:
Going to do a bit of bouldering (it's been a WHILE!)
Then I have a basketball game tonight.
TOMORROW: muscle ups and GB WOD

There are a couple of things I'm striving to achieve right now: getting my muscle up and making it to Coach Sommer's Gymnastic Bodies Seminar for free. There are of course numerous other goals in the hopper simultaneously, but these two are the focus right now.

Muscle Up: This is extremely frustrating. I have been trying to get it for like a YEAR. I haven't been seriously training it for the entire year, but I have had a few periods of time where I trained it a lot and came very close and then just sort of fell off the muscle up training wagon for a little while. This time I'm going to get it. I am painfully close. What's frustrating about it is that I know I am strong enough to do it, and I haven't gotten it. Is it a mental block? I'm afraid that I might be obsessing over it so much that I am blocking myself from actually achieving it. I've had plenty of experience with this when I was playing college basketball. I used to TRY SO FREAKIN' HARD that I would continuously fail. I realize that I just need to trust my training. Once I let go of TRYING and TRYING and TRYING so hard, I will get it. I am strong and I can get it, I just have to completely believe in that. It's just like shooting a jumper.

Gymnastic Bodies Seminar: Check out Gymnastic Bodies, these are the workouts I have been following since January. Ramman decided to register for the seminar and I had been loosely following the GB WODS for a couple of months while he was more serious about doing them. I still love my CrossFit metcons, so I was having a hard time choosing which WOD to do. But then Coach Sommer announced a competition, and being the competitor that I am, I joined- naturally. The winner of the competition wins free tuition to the GB Seminar in May down in Cali. It's going to be at this crazy state of the art facility that appears to be a heavenly dream-land for anyone interested in gymnastics. The contest entails following the GB WODS which are posted every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. These WODS consist of some CRAZY HARD strength exercises on rings, in handstands, on the bar, mostly with your own body weight with the exception of using a weight vest for some things. These workouts are pretty much meant for men and boys trying to become good at the things male gymnasts do, like rings. Did I mention that it is CRAZY HARD?! So I figure even if I don't win the contest, I will be a lot stronger from doing these workouts. And I will get my muscle up. With these WODS being prescribed 4 days a week, I am still able to mix in some regular CrossFit and kettlebell WODS to satisfy my craving to make myself want to throw up from exercise (I'm a rare breed). Along with doing the GB WODS, I have to post everything I do on the GB website under "workout logs". This is where everyone who is trying to win the competition posts workouts, pictures, and videos. In mid-April, Coach Sommer will ask for everyone on the forum to vote for who they think should win, then he will announce the winner. I'm one of two girls doing these workouts, as far as I know at least. It seems like there aren't too many people trying to win, but you never know! I have been diligent with following the WODS and posting on the forum, so we'll see what happens:)

So those are the big two right now. Along with getting Rip City Fitness up and running, these goals are keeping me pretty busy. The garage gym is coming along nicely and we've got a handful of people in there so far. Big marketing push is coming up, making it happen. 6 months ago I didn't think we would have our own gym already.. Dreams becoming realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment