Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Strength Gains!

GB WOD-
Perform:

12 cycles of XR Strap HS (Ring Handstands)

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:
1) Each cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.
2) Do not come down during the 30 seconds of HS.
3) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6”-8” from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.
4) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Just when I thought that I would end up on the wall for this workout, I was pleasantly surprised that I have made enough strength gains to complete it pretty much as rx'd. The last XR strap HS WOD that I did was BRUTAL. It took me over an hour to accumulate just under 7 minutes of being in the handstand. I was able to hold each attempt for about 37-45 second, but I needed several minutes of recovery in between attempts. This time was much different. I needed some spotting getting up into the handstand but I was able to complete each of the 12 cycles with the prescribed amount of rest (give or take a few seconds on the first few attempts). Today I saw and felt how much stronger I am now compared to just a few weeks ago. Awesome.

This is obviously the tale end of one of the reps. My hands are supposed to be facing the other direction- not there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment