Monday, April 6, 2009

Worship the SUN

GB WOD:
Perform:
3x5 SLS-single leg squat (plus 15# medicine ball)
3x5 Single Leg Archups (used a GHD)

Finish with 3x10 Hip Extensions
4x10 GHD Situps

RCF WOD:
4 Rounds for time-
15 KB Thrusters (12kg)
15 Pullups
15 KB Swings (16kg)

On Sunday (yesterday) I held true to my two main goals for the day. I spent some time on the Park Blocks practicing some VERY basic Parkour skills while passersby looked at me, intrigued. It took me a little while to get over the whole 'people are watching me' thing. But when I realized I was holding back for fear of what other people would think, I quickly set myself straight and let them look. It felt great to get out there and take a step toward being good at Parkour. A small step, but a step none the less. I practiced some speed vaults, cat leaps, precision jumps, and quadrupedal movement on ledges (low ledges!). Soon, I will be that bad ass Parkour chick in the videos:) I also got out in our garden and pulled up all of the old stuff. I didn't get anything planted yet because I don't exactly know how to get the soil ready, hopefully this week Ramman and I will get those seeds in the ground.

Yesterday and today have been like the nicest days Portland has seen in MONTHS. Sunny, 70+ degrees, pretty much my perfect kind of weather. I said to Ramman that today makes me so excited for summer and he quickly reminded me of how miserable I get when the temperature is above 85 degrees. I'm a wuss when it comes to the heat. Especially when there isn't a sanitary body of water within 10 miles to leap into for relief. That's what I miss about Seattle. There's so much water up there that even when it's hot, it's not too bad because the breeze cools you off a bit. And when you just can't stand it, you just jump into Lake Washington (which at this point, sadly, is not terribly clean either). I think even just having the option of water to jump into makes me handle the heat a little better. In Portland there's nothing close (except the Willamette, which is all sorts of polluted) to give some sort of respite from the hot summer air that seems to sit still in this city.

It's always a bit amusing when the first warm, sunny spring day arrives in the Pacific Northwest. All of the sudden people are everywhere, in tank tops and shorts, laying out on blankets in the grass, blinding everyone with their pasty skin. And their moods! Everyone emerges out of their deep, dark, seasonal depression and exclaims at how wonderful life is! I admit, part of me is one of these people. Seeing the sun and feeling it's warmth makes me feel great. In the spring and summer I wake up earlier and usually just feel better about life in general. But who wouldn't. We spend so many months of the fall and winter with sloped shoulders and down turned heads simply as a natural defense against the rain and cold wind. We plod through our winter days almost forgetting what it's like to feel warm, what our own legs look like. People who aren't from here don't understand how we north westerners do it. Honestly I don't really know either. I think we are just so used to it that we don't even realize the effect it has on us.

I need a tropical vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment