Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Gymnastics Day


Today I stretched and rolled for about 45 minutes and then I did some back bend kick over work using the panel mat to elevate my feet about 8-10 inches off of the ground. I still have yet to be able to do a full back bend kick over from the ground but I have gotten very close in the recent past. A big set back right now for me is this sciatic pain in my low back and legs. It only happens during certain movements but it is enough for me to stop what I'm doing a stretch. And it's getting worse. Bummer. Serious bummer. Sciatic pain (I refuse to call it sciatica, because it's not that bad and I won't let it get to that point) does not usually just go away on it's own, and it can get to be debilitating very quickly if not addressed. So on Monday I am getting a massage by a woman who knows how to help with athletic injuries. I'll start with that and tons of stretching (like I did today) and go from there.

Gymnastics Class:
Warmup 30 minutes- lots of stretching
Roundoffs x8 (felt good)
Front Handsprings x1o (mediocre)
Precision Jumps x10 on high beams (these were okay, still scared of the last one)
Monkey Vault (these are awesome)
Muscle Up Attempts x5 (still not there)
20' Rope Climb x2 (rope climbs suck)
30-20-10 Pushups (felt weak after the rope climbs)
15-12-10 Squat Throughs (I hate these, I wish I had a video so you could see how much they suck.. next time)
10-10 Reverse Leg Lifts (felt the nerve so I stopped)

Overall, it was a pretty good gymnastics session. However, I feel like I am going nowhere with my front handsprings and I don't practice back handsprings enough (with a spotter) to even think about doing them on my own... I wish I could go to gymnastics class like 3 days a week. I do feel more confident with the monkey vault, which is huge, and I have faith in myself as far as the muscle up goes- I didn't allow myself to get frustrated with it tonight. I know I can get it, I'm just not obsessing over it. Tomorrow will be training day #4 in row, risky, but I will rest Friday and play frisbee this weekend. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment