Monday, April 20, 2009

Parkour & Margaritas

Sunday was the best day. We slept in until about 10, had a balanced and delicious breakfast, and then set out to wander the PSU campus and downtown Portland for places to practice Parkour moves. We were originally going to go to Adapt Training in Beaverton for open gym, but we found out that it wasn't happening. I'm glad we didn't end up going because it was the nicest day of the year thus far and we spent a good chunk of it outside, relishing the sun and climbing all over whatever we could find. After making our way (doing plenty of wall runs, precision jumps, vaults, etc.) to a track and doing a very short, very hard partner workout that included running on all fours and lots of burpees, we set out on a search for a margarita. Our usual Mexican place was closed (lame) so we ended up in the Pearl District at one the best and cheapest Mexican restaurants in town- Cha Cha Cha. Yes, finally! We sat outside and enjoyed each others company in the shade with delicious Mexican chicken salads and margaritas. It was the perfect meal after 3 hours of playing and training in the sun. We got home and, it being a Sunday afternoon and all, crashed into a two hour nap. Perfect.

Here's a picture of me doing quadrupedal movement over the "Walk of Heroines" memorial on the PSU campus, a great wall to practice tricks on, and appropriately named:)

Today is an even nicer day here in Portland.. It feels so good when spring FINALLY arrives. I know that we have some more stretches of rainy days coming, but just to be out of the winter darkness is so refreshing.

We went up to CrossFit Portland today to do the Gymnastic Bodies WOD with the guys there and lo and behold: I tweaked my neck. Half way through the first round of a four round WOD I had to stop. Major bummer. So now I'm at home, icing and massaging myself so that I can make it to work in a little bit. Part of me just wants to call in sick, but I know that I could put those sick hours to better use another time, so I will go, reluctantly.

Supposedly, last Wednesday was the day to vote on the Gymnastic Bodies forum for who should get to go to the seminar for free. Nothing was posted until Friday, so hopefully this week we will find out the results. It would be pretty cool to win and go on a little adventure down to California with Ramman and our friends from CrossFit Portland.

It looks like I'm going to have to take it easy for the next few days.. Tomorrow I will force myself to not even think about training so that this stupid neck spasm will go away.. and Wednesday I have to fast all day to prep for my colonoscopy on Thursday, so no training either of those days. The competitive athlete/addicted to exercise part of me is screaming inside about having to rest four days in a row, but the logical trainer/more evolved, smarter athlete in me is okay with it. I'll feel even better when I get back to it this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment